Sunday, March 02, 2014

I Did It!

I raced in my first half marathon!  That's a pretty big milestone in my running career.  It's not everyday that I go out there with the intention of running a 21.1km and think, eh, that's was easy. 


The Hypothermic Half, with its pathetic excuse for an organized event, was a pretty decent run, as far as the route went.  Even Mother Nature cooperated by not making it miserably cold.  Granted, it did start to snow rather heavy during the last 7 or 8km and between the melting snow and steam on my glasses I seriously wondered if I would end the run with a spectacular wipe out (for which I'm starting to get a reputation) by not being able to see.  All is well that ends well, as the saying goes.   I could have done better if I put more effort into it (I was so not feeling the love for this race) but for me, finished in 2hr23min16sec is perfectly acceptable.  I got the bling.  I ate a very overpriced brunch at the Atlantica Hotel.  I will not run in this race again unless there are some major improvements.  Like access to changing facilities, and more than 2 port-a-potties.  And something more at the finish line in terms of refreshments than water.  And the hat and glove combo instead of the standard t-shirt that came with registration?  Don't even get me started! 


So yes, I did it.  Got the bling to show for it.  Now onto bigger and better races.  Maritime Race Weekend is going to rock!

3 comments:

lexa said...

Congrats! There's a new race they are organizing in town here, not sure when, we've been making signs, posters, getting the medals, etc.... They are trying to make it a really big thing. It's called It's a Shore Thing or something to that effect. I will have to check it out when I get to work, let you know the details.

Toni said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Holly said...

Oh, that is fabulous. And I love the name for the race. My daughter is doing the NYC 1/2 in a couple of weeks as she is raising money for cancer research. Nothing like having a boyfriend undergoing chemo for osteaosarcoma to help you row up in a hurry.

Bling?